God's STORY of Providence
Tottenville Evangelical Free Church (TEFC) began in 1915 when thirteen Christian brethren (five men and eight women), all Norwegian, came together for their mutual concern of the worship of the Lord Jesus Christ. A little over a year later this small group met at the Red Front Hall on Main Street and Eureka Place in Tottenville on December 28, 1916 for the purpose of incorporating “The Norwegian Evangelical Free Church” (of Tottenville) and to elect trustees.
In 1917 The Congregational Church Extension Society of Brooklyn loaned the group a portable chapel to be erected on the recently purchased land at 266 Wood Avenue.
In 1923 The Norwegian Evangelical Free Church (of Tottenville) acquired a loan to start a building fund for a permanent building. At first, all services were in Norwegian and by the end of 1939 services were held in English.
In March of 1958 the congregation voted to withdraw from The Congregational Church Association, which was received on good terms with well wishes from the Association. The church voted to join with The Evangelical Free Church of America.
At this time the church is led by Pastor George Ippolito, Elders Glenn Gibbons and Joe Monagas, and Deacons Curt Cutler and Mike Diaz.
In addition, TEFC gathered together with the purpose to be more intentional and contiguous with serving their missionaries. For this reason, a Missions Team (MT) was established with the designated name of TEFC Missions Communication (TEFCMC).
TEFCMC is designed to be an indelible MT conduit between TEFC members and their supported missionaries.